The Surprise Aquatic Center is a great place to spend a summer afternoon. With slides, a whirlpool, and even a diving well, there is something for the whole family. Just make sure to wear those shower shoes when you’re changing in the locker room. Foot fungus spreads easily from one person to another, and it thrives in places like locker rooms and public showers.
Nail fungus is nasty business. It can get in easily (through a cut on your skin or your nails) and once it sets up shop it never wants to leave. It’s important to really protect yourself from developing a fungal infection in the first place. Fungus loves warm, damp, and dark places (for instance, the inside of your shoes or a gym shower). Here are some tips on stay fungus free:
- Keep your feet clean and dry at all times. Do this by wearing socks that wick away moisture. If you tend to perspire more than average you can even keep a clean pair of socks with you at all times just in case.
- Let your shoes dry out before wearing them again. Shoes need at least 24 full hours to completely air out, so have a few pairs of shoes to cycle through.
- Always wear protective foot coverings in a public place. Fungus is high communicable, and public places where it thrives most include gym/pool locker rooms and public showers.
- Getting a pedicure can be fun, but salons can be breeding grounds for fungus. Bring your own tools or make sure you go to a salon you can trust.
- If you have diabetes it’s more important than ever to avoid a fungal infection, so check daily to make sure you don’t notice any changes to your nails. Things to look for include crumbling or discolored nails.
By taking these precautions you should be able to have a fungus free summer. For more tips call Dr. Viedra Elison at (623) 584-5556 to schedule an appointment at Fixing Feet Institute in Surprise, AZ.