The Itty Bitty Beach Party is Tuesday, August 5th at 10:00 AM at the Aquatics Center. This will be fun for the whole family, but make sure you and your child’s feet are protected from the heat. Injury prevention is very important all year round, but especially during the summer. Take the time to protect your whole family, so everyone can stay safe and have fun.
The hot sun can really fry your feet. In order to protect them, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Go barefoot as little as possible to avoid burning your soles. This also helps reduce the risk of contracting an infection. If you are diabetic this applies even more to you, because of the role neuropathy can play in not noticing foot wounds.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your feet. If you are going to be in the water make sure you reapply throughout the day.
- Drink lots of water. Not only does this help you stay hydrated, but it prevents swelling in your lower limbs.
- If you’re going to be at a water park or the pool, wear protective water shoes.
- Always make sure you have a first aid kit with you in case of an emergency. Include bandages, antibacterial ointment, toenail clippers, and moleskin pads for blisters.
- Allow your feet time to wiggle around and stretch. Being cooped up inside shoes all day can create a number of problems and deformities.
If you have any further questions about good foot care during the summer heat, call Dr. Viedra Elison at (623) 584-5556 to schedule an appointment at Fixing Feet Institute in Surprise, AZ. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest for more foot care tips.
Photo credit: Serge Bertasius Photography via freedigitalphotos.net