Next Saturday, January 31, is the Celebrity Flag Football Challenge at the Surprise Stadium. This will be a fun-filled event for the whole family to enjoy, just make sure your diabetes doesn’t give you any trouble! Practicing smart diabetic foot care is essential to staying comfortable and healthy so you can enjoy every fun moment with your loved ones.
When you have diabetes, you are at a higher risk for developing complications in your body, especially with your feet. Peripheral neuropathy may prevent you from feeling a painful, dangerous condition when it’s there. By following this diabetic foot care checklist, though, you should be able to avoid any potentially life-threatening problems.
Do these daily:
- Check your feet for anything out of the ordinary. This includes any sores, cuts, blisters, or other wounds. If you notice something, get medical attention.
- Clean your feet with warm water and a very mild, unscented soap. Make sure to dry them thoroughly when you are finished.
- Moisturize your feet to prevent cracking, but do not apply between your toes.
- Always check the insides of your shoes for anything sharp or hard.
Do these weekly:
- Groom your nails by trimming them straight across with a nail clipper. Never cut in a curved fashion or you put yourself at risk for developing ingrown toenails.
- If you have calluses either gently slough off the dead skin yourself, or, better yet, have a professional from our office do it for you.
Do this yearly:
- Either once or twice a year have your feet examined by an expert podiatrist at Fixing Feet Institute. They can discover and treat any issues that may occur, and also make sure that your diabetes is being managed properly. This way you can stay healthy overall.
It’s vital for you to take good care of your feet when you live with diabetes. Some important tips to keep in mind include never going barefoot, never using extreme temperatures (hot or cold) on or near your feet, and never allowing your feet to soak in water for too long.
If you have any questions about diabetic foot care, or have any issues that need to be addressed, contact our Surprise, AZ office and schedule an appointment with Dr. Viedra Elison. Call (623) 584-5556 or use our online form today.