Dangers of Pedicures at Nail Salons
Posted on Dec 12, 2012
A news station in Florida went undercover and searched state inspection reports to track safety and sanitation problems inside nail salons. They learned that Florida's track record is less than stellar.
Jennifer Witt was in her early 30s when she suddenly couldn't walk one day. "I woke up with cellulitis and I couldn't [bear] any weight on my leg at all," she said. It turns how she picked up a mycobacterium infection from a pedicure tub. Jennifer thought she just had an ingrown hair on her shin, but a doctor performed a biopsy and knew immediately to ask if Jennifer had gotten a pedicure lately.
Jennifer had to go into immediately surgery and all of the skin and muscle on her shin had to be cut out. Next, they took skin from under her arm and transferred it to her wound. Her surgeon, Dr. Anthony Dardano, acknowledges that not all salons are dangerous and some do a great job of keeping tubs clean, but that when they don't, bad things can happen.
The news station, Contact 5, found out that when it comes to nail tech training hours, Florida ranks 45th out of 50 states. It is also in the top five states for pedicure infections.
Jennifer Carroll, the current Lt. Governor in Florida, fought against dirty salons six years ago when she was a representative. Her bill flew through the House and Senate, but the Florida Governor at the time shot the bill down. Now that she's higher up in the state's government, she suddenly won't answer phone calls or requests to talk about the topic.
Sadly, our experienced leg and foot doctors at Fixing Feet Institute in Surprise, Arizona, have also learned to recognize a serious skin infection caused by unsanitary pedicures. If you have a suspicious sore or lesion on your skin, contact us immediately to schedule an appointment. Call us at 623-584-5556 or e-mail us at [email protected]. Time is critical.