Tips for Building Stronger Bones
Did you know that September is National Self Improvement month? One way you can improve yourself is by building stronger bones. When you have strong bones you are less likely to end up with a fracture, sprain, or other injury.
In order to maintain good bone health there are a few things that you can be doing for yourself, including:
- Eating foods rich in calcium. This important nutrient is vital to bone health. Many people think this means eating more dairy, but calcium can also be found in dark leafy green vegetables, almonds, figs, and tofu. If you feel like you aren’t getting enough calcium through diet alone you can always try a supplement.
- Add Vitamin D to your day. The best way to get enough Vitamin D is by spending time under the sun. If you live in a place where the sun is scarce you can get yours through a supplement.
- Do weight bearing exercises. In order to build strength you want to be working these parts of your body. Running, dancing, stair climbing, and even walking are great ways to achieve this.
- Cut out smoking and excessive drinking. Both smoking and alcohol lower your bone density, making it more likely that you could end up with an injury.
- Consider medication. If your doctor recommends it medication could be just what you need. This is especially true for perimenopausal women, as their bone density is usually lower than what it used to be.
- Get tested. Make sure your bone mineral density is where it should be and if it’s not start making some changes.
It’s extremely important to maintain good bone health, particularly as you age. Dangerous falls can lead to hip and spine fractures. If you would like some more advice on how to keep your bones strong and healthy please call Dr. Peyman Elison and Dr. Viedra Elison at (623) 584-5556 to schedule an appointment at Fixing Feet Institute in Surprise, AZ. Together we can help come up with a plan for you and your bones.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Tips for Building Stronger Bones"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."